Fred Sanders is a systematic theologian who studies and teaches across the entire range of classic Christian doctrine, but with a special focus on the doctrine of the Trinity. He has taught in the Torrey Honors Institute since 1999, and is an amateur historian of Biola's institutional history. He and his wife Susan live in La Mirada with their two children, Freddy and Phoebe. They are members of Grace Evangelical Free Church.
- Evangelical Theological Society
- American Academy of Religion
- Wesleyan Theological Society
- [forthcoming:] Theology in Seven Sentences (InterVarsity Press, 2017).
- How God Used R.A. Torrey: A Short Biography as Told Through His Sermons (Moody Press, 2015) [forthcoming:]
- Blessed Trinity: An Approach to the Doctrine of God and Salvation. This is a book (80,000 words) aimed at an academic audience. It describes the major issues in contemporary Trinitarian theology and sets forth a constructive proposal for how the doctrine ought to be handled. Under negotiation with publisher, forthcoming 2018
JOURNAL ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- [forthcoming] “Arminian View,” in Five Views of the Extent of the Atonement, ed. Adam Johnson (Zondervan, 2017)
- [forthcoming] “The Trinity,” in Darren Sarisky, ed., Theologies of Retrieval: An Exploration and Appraisal
- (London: T. & T. Clark, 2017)
- [forthcoming] “God” in Systematic Theology Study Bible, Crossway
- “The Trinity” in Walter Elwell and Daniel Treier, eds, Evangelical Dictionary of Theology. Revised edition (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2017)
- “These Three Atone: Atonement and the Trinity,” in Adam Johnson, ed, The T & T Clark Companion to the Atonement (Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2016)
- “Elective Eschatological Affinities: Commentary on American Apocalypse,” Syndicate Theology, January 4, 2016: https://syndicatetheology.com/commentary/elective-...
- “Biblical Grounding for the Christology of the Councils,” Criswell Theological Review 13/1 (Fall 2015), 93-104.
- “Biola in the American Evangelical Story,” in Jonathan Edwards and the History of the Evangelical Mind, collected papers from the 2012 Biola Faculty Integration Seminar led by Doug Sweeney and facilitated by Rick Langer (Biola-published, 2015).
- “‘The Only Work Proposed for the Present Dispensation:’ Premillennial Political Reserve and Sutton's American Apocalypse”, American Academy of Religion, Evangelical Studies Group, November 2015, Atlanta, Ga.
- “Trinity and Soteriology”, Evangelical Theological Society, November 2015, Atlanta, Ga.
- “What the Icons Say and Do for the Gospel: The Place of the Ancient Christian Iconographic Tradition in Evangelical Churches.” Evangelical Theological Society, November 2014, San Diego, Calif.
- “What Trinitarian Theology is For: Placing the Doctrine of the Trinity in Christian Theology and Life”, Los Angeles Theology Conference, January 2014, Fuller Theological, Seminary, Pasadena, Calif.